Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Giving Season

As someone who worked as a Development Assistant for five months (and for those of you who don't know, "Development" is non-profit lingo for "fundraising"), I can tell you that most charities make the bulk of their money at the holidays.  If a non-profit has a decent Annual Fund Manager (and when I was working as a DA, our AFM was the bomb), she will likely launch her largest campaign during this time.

So, what does this have to do with my blog?  Well, working in that arena made me realize how common philanthropic giving is.  It is particularly common for my parents' and grandparents' generation as they are the ones who can normally afford such a luxury.

My own generation is not as accustomed to routine giving.  We may donate to a cause because someone we know is walking for it or because we can dump buckets of ice on ourselves and feel like we're changing the world.

By now, those of you who don't want to hear this have stopped reading, but working for a non-profit did not turn me into someone who wanted to change the world.  It probably did not even reverse any of my jaded personality.

What it did teach me is that donating to a charity once a year won't kill me.  Better yet, it makes me feel good, and my money might (or might not, who knows), be doing its own good out there.

I made the choice to pick a charity and stick with it.  I will give steadily to this charity for as long as the cause is a worthy one and the money is well-managed (there's a very large practical end to philanthropy).

A few years ago, my boss (whom I adore) lost his wife, a woman with three young children in the prime of her life.  He chose to start a foundation in her memory called The Lauri S. Bauer Foundation for Sudden Loss.  Those of you who know a bit about me will understand why I am personally invested in this organization's mission to help those who are struck by the sudden loss of a loved one.

A few weeks ago, I donated to the LSB Foundation.  I am not asking you to do the same (although you could, and it would make my day), but I am asking that you consider committing to a cause for yourself and for those who directly benefit from the funds.

Research.  Ask around.  Find what speaks to you, and support it.  Philanthropy is not a rare thing.  Let's make sure it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment