Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Ho Ho Holiday Movie Marathon


 

Merry Christmas!  Well, almost.  I'm sure you have noticed that the Christmas season is stretching ever longer, and that's actually great news because it gives us ample time to catch up on classic Christmas films.  A survey of some of my favorites follows below.

When I'm feeling like a kid:


Home Alone

It doesn't get much more cliche than this, but I adore this movie.  The sequel is almost as good (I mean, it's practically the same movie...), and I love that Marv's scream is just like my husband's when there's a spider around. 


How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I am a great lover of Dr. Seuss, and though I know he never wanted his books made into movies, I'm quite glad that his wishes were disregarded in this case.  How could you not love the amazingly adorable reindeer Max?


Other Childhood Favorites

L to R: Cabbage Patch Kids Christmas, Smurfs Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas
If you can't identify all of these, don't fret.  They belonged to, as far as I can remember, a single, home-recorded VHS tape that we used to put on at Christmas (The Grinch may have also been on it).  This tape was 2 hours of Christmas goodness, which I'm sure was how my parents planned it.  One of my very favorite parts: Alvin's golden harmonica!

When I'm feeling like a grown-up:


The Family Stone

I actually didn't like this film the first time I saw it, but now it has become a yearly tradition.  A cross between funny, sad, and seriously awkward, it's a more realistic view of what we go through at the holidays every year.  Family dynamics (both good and bad) don't just disappear because it's Christmas.  I always like to remember that.

Love Actually

I adore the Brits.  They're a little off but seriously funny people.  This is such a great film because it, like The Family Stone, focuses on relationships as much as the holiday itself.  It's better because it has lots of overlapping story-lines and still manages not to lose any.  If you haven't seen it, this is my recommendation for the holiday season this year!


In Closing:

I realize that these are fairly lame and leave out many that other consider must-sees during the holidays.  I refuse to watch the updated Miracle on 34th Street because I'm convinced that Mara Wilson stole the lead role from me (I actually auditioned as a child and was quite traumatized when I did not get a call-back), and I don't care for National Lampoon.

I am, however, really hoping to convince my husband to watch It's a Wonderful Life on the 26th (the next three days are way too busy).  I have not seen this iconic Christmas film since I was really young, and it is one I think I would enjoy.

What are some of your holiday favorites?  (and feel free to chastise me for my lack of enthusiasm when it comes to National Lampoon...)


No comments:

Post a Comment