Thursday, January 14, 2016

Re-fashion


It's a new year, and I'm sure you may have guessed that means I'm on a new diet and exercise plan (more on that in a different post), the reason being that I am no longer able to fit into some of my clothing.  However, this has given me a unique opportunity to revisit something I have always had an interest in but never indulged, and that is re-fashioning clothes.

I am a decent seamstress.  I took sewing/fashion classes in high school and even sewed my own prom dress.  In college, my friend Casey and I discovered a book all about re-fashioning T-shirts, and though we did some, we only ever did the no-sew options.

My junior year prom dress, inspired by Beauty & the Beast...

Casey modelling one of our transformed shirts




One reason I'm not really into sewing is because it overwhelms me, mostly due to the yards of fabric needed to make a decent piece of clothing.  When I was in high school and had plenty of classroom space at my finger tips, it didn't bother me, but since then, I have mainly focused on projects that are very limited in size, such as stockings.

What's great about re-fashioning is that it takes pre-existing garments and allows you to modify them without taking up too much time or space.  To make a t-shirt, I would probably need at least two yards of fabric, and I would end up doing a lot of the onerous work, like creating the collar.  For the t-shirt modification below, I only needed a few inches of fabric and got the whole project completed in half an hour.

The inspiration for this particular project can be found here, though there aren't any real instructions beyond: "I cut out the side seams and serged in a panel of fabric on each side and, voila, the shirt fits."



Here's what I did with one of my very favorite t-shirts (that's a little snug these days):

Materials needed:

  • Old t-shirt
  • Extra fabric (dimensions will vary)
  • Sewing machine, straight pins, & thread


Steps:

1. Cut side seams from bottom hem to top and through arm holes; measure cut distance (for me, it was 19.5" x 4" to accommodate .25" seams on sides and .5" hem on top and bottom)
2. Sew top and bottom hems of add-in fabric.

3. Pin and sew in side panels.

It is a pretty fantastic and fun little maneuver, and now I feel comfortable wearing this shirt again.  If I ever got back down to my skinnier size, I could always just re-sew the initial seams.



I also did another shirt, and now I'm afraid I may be addicted...


Now that I have this project under my belt, I am ready to take on more.  Some will be more challenging while some will just be plain fun, but I'm sure a trip to Joann is in order!



No comments:

Post a Comment