Thursday, January 14, 2016

21 Day Fix

I was in the basement one day cleaning when I got sucked into an infomercial for a fitness program (you know you've done it before), and I found myself wondering if it would be the right fit for me.  It's called the 21 Day Fix, and it's based on the idea that you can break a bad habit in 21 days (which neither I nor most psychiatrists will admit has any value, but I digress).

The premise relies on both fitness and nutrition, which is why I was so drawn to it. There are 7 different workouts that follow the workout calendar below:


It's three weeks straight of working out, but the workouts themselves are only 30 minutes, and (dare I say it?) they are pretty fun!  I will admit that I nearly died during the first one, but don't be discouraged-- you will feel so much better if you keep on it.

As I mentioned, this is also a nutrition plan, and it's based on eating at a caloric deficit, which is achieved by portioning food.  To aid this, there are color-coded containers, and you are allotted a certain number of them every day.  The hardest part of this entire process is, as you could imagine, planning.  You have to know what you're going to eat for each meal/snack before you leave the house, or you will not be able to follow this well.  

The first week I did this challenge, I only did the exercise and ate healthier than normal but not according to the guidelines.  When I started to buckle down and really get into the nutrition aspect, I found myself floundering a little.  That's where this helpful worksheet came in handy:

I really appreciated this guiding document from Kimberly Jobs of Sublime Reflection, but it was only available as a PDF, and I wanted to be able to use it to calculate my needs for me.  So, I re-created it using Google Drive, and it's available for download:


This document, unlike the original, allows you to play with your meals and warns you when you've gone over your allotted serving.  You can easily see your remaining servings, and when you do exceed what you're allowed, it will let you know:

Clearly, I tried to sneak in too many veggies...

I hope that this document helps you out.  It was created in Google Docs and is therefore a little more compatible there, but it can also be downloaded as an Excel document.

For more information on the 21 Day Fix, check out their website or my Pinterest board.

No comments:

Post a Comment