Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Giving Thanks

Hi everyone!  I hope that you all had an amazing Thanksgiving.  As you'll note from my last post on the subject of November 26th, I had serious misgivings about this holiday.  I haven't been so happy to be proven wrong in a very long time.

Turns out that my Thanksgiving was terrific.  It was one of the best I have had in a long time, in fact, and I was wasting all this time and energy dreading it (my husband's voice is ringing in my head, saying, "I told you so...").

I am posting today to share some awesome pictures of the event but also to share the wise words of my boyfriend, James Clear.  I introduced James to you in a previous post, bu this Thanksgiving advice was something that really hit home (and when I showed it to my husband, his exact words were, "This guy is stealing my material;" sensing a theme yet?).

You can read it all below or here on his own website (poke around; you might find something awesome!)

And, because I'm a visual type, here's just how happy my Thanksgiving was!






How to Be Thankful For Your Life by Changing Just One Word

By James Clear    |    Life Lessons

My college strength and conditioning coach, Mark Watts, taught me an important lesson about how to be thankful that applies to life outside of the gym as well as inside it…

As adults, we spend a lot of time talking about all of the things that we have to do.

You have to wake up early for work. You have to make another sales call for your business. You have to work out today. You have to write an article. You have to make dinner for your family. You have to go to your son’s game.

Now, imagine changing just one word in the sentences above.

You don’t “have” to. You “get” to.

You get to wake up early for work. You get to make another sales call for your business. You get to work out today. You get to write an article. You get to make dinner for your family. You get to go to your son’s game.

I think it’s important to remind yourself that the things you do each day are not burdens, they are opportunities. So often, the things we view as work are actually the reward.

Embrace your constraints. Fall in love with boredom. Do the work.

You don’t have to. You get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment